Home   Rufus Snow History   Scope   Newsletter   Schedule   FAQ Contact Us
 
 



Many people have wondered where the name from Rufe Snow Drive came from. The street was named to honor Mr. Rufus Snow (1867-1957), a farmer, school board member and county commissioner. 

Rufus (Rufe) Snow’s father had migrated here from Missouri in 1860 and opened a blacksmith shop in the area known as Birdville. His parents were married in Birdville in 1866, and he was born the next year some 200 yards from the Birdville School, which he attended a few years.

In 1888 Rufe inherited 375 acres, which he developed into a model stock farm. He farmed for decades, served as a School Board trustee, and from November 1913 to January 1918 was a county commissioner. The orphans’ home, city-county hospital, and county criminal court building were built during his tenure. He was affiliated with the Smithfield Odd Fellows Lodge and the Baptist Church. He remained engaged in the community, e.g. School Board activities, long past the time when he had any family involvement at stake.


 

 


Rufus Snow

His name was attached to the Birdville-Watauga Road late in his lifetime, and his home was there, in the present southeast corner of Rufe Snow and Shauna Drives, across the street from North Richland Middle School. His porch extended all the way across the front of the house, and there were three front doors. His stock farm included much of the current Skyline Homes Addition.

Rufus and Jessie Melbourne Snow (1870-1942) had five children who lived to adulthood.

- Excerpts from The History of North Richland Hills. More information about the history of North Richland Hills is available at the North Richland Hills Public Library North Richland Hills Public Library

 

Copyright © 2008 North Richland Hills